Balbir Prithviraj Kapoor
Shashi Kapoor was born on March 18, 1938.
Shashi Kapoor died at the age of 79 years on December 4, 2017, after battling with liver cirrhosis and kidney failure in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Shashi studied at Don Bosco High School, Mumbai.
Actor, Director, Producer
- Father – Prithviraj Kapoor (Actor, Director, Producer, Writer)
- Mother – Ramsarni Kapoor
- Siblings – Raj Kapoor (Older Brother) (Actor, Producer, Director), Shammi Kapoor (Older Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Randhir Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor, Producer, Director), Ritu Nanda (Niece) (CEO of Ritu Nanda Insurance Services), Rishi Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor, Producer, Director, Meme artist), Rima Kapoor Jain (Niece), Rajiv Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor), Aditya Raj Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor, Businessman, Filmmaker), Karisma Kapoor (Granddaughter) (Actress), Kareena Kapoor (Granddaughter) (Actress), Riddhima Kapoor Sahani (Granddaughter), Ranbir Kapoor (Grandson) (Actor, Film Producer), Nikhil Nanda (Grandson) (Businessman), Armaan Jain (Grandson) (Actor), Aadar Jain (Grandson) (Actor), Shivani Kapoor (Granddaughter), Felicity Kendal (Sister-in-law) (Actress), Valmik Thapar (Son-in-law) (Wildlife conservationist), Hamir (Grandson)
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shashi Kapoor has dated –
- Jennifer Kendal (1956–1984) – English actress Jennifer Kendal was a part of her father’s traveling theater company Shakespeareana. The couple met for the first time in Calcutta (now known as Kolkata) in 1956 at the Prithvi Theater which was run by Shashi’s father. They got married in 1958 and had three children together Kunal Kapoor, Karan Kapoor, and Sanjana Kapoor. Shashi suffered a considerable blow personally when he lost Jennifer to colon cancer in 1984. His life began dwindling after the death of his wife, and he suffered from illness and took to alcohol and food as vices.
Race / Ethnicity
- His boyish looks
- Shashi’s smile
Best Known For
- Being one of the first Indian stars who worked in various British and American films.
- His iconic dialogue in the Indian drama film Deewar ‘Mere Paas Maa hai’ (I have a mother).
- Being the son of famous actor Prithviraj Kapoor, who was one-third of the first generation of India’s first film dynasty, the Kapoor family.
Shashi Kapoor made his theatrical film debut as Shashiraj in the Indian film Tadbir in 1945.
First TV Show
Shashi Kapoor was not seen in any TV Show.
The Kapoor family is known for their undying love for food. While they usually opted for unhealthy but fatty foods, Shashi’s wife Jennifer ensured that Shashi followed a strict diet and avoided unhealthy foods.
Shashi also followed an organic vegetarian diet along with Jennifer. However, after the loss of his wife, he resorted to unhealthy eating habits.
Shashi Kapoor Favorite Things
- Hobbies – Eating, Drinking, and Watching movies
- Cuisine – Chinese
- Restaurant – Kamling
- Actress – Nanda
Source – India Today, Daily Bhaskar, Hindustan Times
Shashi Kapoor Facts
- Shashi Kapoor began acting at the tender age of 4. He appeared in around 160 movies including 12 in English and 148 in Hindi. In about 61 films, he made the appearance as the solo lead and also in 53 multi-star cast movies.
- Interestingly, Shashi was paid more in multi-starrer films than co-actors Vinod Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan, Jeetendra, Rishi, and Randhir.
- In 1980, he started his own company called Film Valas, diverting some of the money he had made in Bollywood into making films.
- He was awarded Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2015. However, he was too unwell to travel to New Delhi to get it. He was the third member in his family to receive the award after his father Prithviraj Kapoor and older brother Raj Kapoor.
- Shashi was felicitated with highest Indian civilian honor the Padma Bhushan Award in 2011.
- He never brought his work home and would ensure that he eats breakfast with his family every morning. He took an off from work on Sundays and spent time at home with his family.
- Shashi Kapoor would schedule his shooting dates in co-ordinance with his children’s school holidays to spend time with his family.
- He worked rigorously and did almost six shifts in the late 1970’s and 1980’s.
- When he was launched as a lead actor in the Bollywood film Dharamputra, actresses refused to work with him since he was a newbie.
- He along with his wife built Prithvi theatre in 1978, his wife later opened a café and thought it would complement the theater. It consisted of 150 members but had to close after Prithviraj Kapoor’s death. The café is now known for art lovers and artists and is now managed by Shashi’s daughter Sanjana.
- Shashi Kapoor confessed to having very few close friends. His friend circle from the film industry
include actors like Nanda, Pran, Dharmendra, Dev Anand, Ismail Merchant, Rajesh Khanna, and Sanjeev Kumar.
- He had no fears and admitted that he slept peacefully at night.
- He disliked putting on weight and even hated his drinking habits and his nature of being straightforward and too loving.
- Due to his drinking and eating habits, he suffered a minor heart stroke which leads to partial paralysis, and he had dementia.
- He underwent a bypass surgery in 2014 and cataract surgery in 2012.
- Shashi Kapoor was known to be a very dedicated actor and always reported to sets on time.
- He was not on social media and hence did not have any social media accounts.
Featured Image by Filmi Tadka / www.filmitadka.in / CC BY-SA 3.0
In our previous article Kinsey Wolanski Age, Weight,Height Information About we encourage you to read our article.