Matthew John David Hancock, popularly known as Matt Hancock is a British politician. Hancock served as the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care from 2018 to 2021. He resigned from his position after his extramarital affair with an aide, Gina Coladangelo was exposed. He previously served as Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport for six months in 2018. He is a Member of Parliament for West Suffolk since 2010.
What is Matt Hancock Famous For?
- Former Secretary of State for Health and Social Care.
Who is Gina Coladangelo?
Where is Matt Hancock From?
Matt Hancock was born on 2 October 1978. His birth name is Matthew John David Hancock. His birth place is in Chester, Cheshire in England. He holds an English nationality. He was born to his father, Michael Hancock, and his mother, Shirley Hills. He has two siblings, a brother and a sister named Emily. He belongs to white ethnicity and his religion is Christianity.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Farndon County Primary School and the independent King’s School. He later took A-levels in Maths, Physics, Computing, and Economics. After school, he attended West Cheshire College where he studied computing. He then studied at Exeter College, Oxford. He graduated with a first in philosophy, politics, and economics. He later earned his MPhil degree in Economics at Christ’s College, Cambridge.
Matt Hancock Career
- After university, he briefly worked for his family’s computer software company.
- He then worked for a backbench Conservative MP.
- He then moved to London to work as an economist at the Bank of England, specializing in the housing market.
- He became an economic adviser to the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne in 2005.
- He later became Osborne’s chief of staff.
- His political career started after he was selected as the Conservative candidate for West Suffolk in January 2010.
- He defeated Natalie Elphicke by narrow votes in the final ballot.
- He was elected as the constituency’s MP at the 2010 general election.
- He was elected to the Public Accounts Committee in June 2010.
- He also served on the Standards and Privileges Committee from October 2010 and December 2012.
- He was accused of dishonesty by Daybreak presenter Matt Barbet in January 2013 after claiming he had been excluded from a discussion about apprentices after turning up “just 30 seconds late”.
- He joined the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills as the Minister of State for Skills and Enterprise in October 2013.
- He was appointed to the position of Minister of State for Business and Enterprise in July 2014.
- He also took on additional responsibilities as the Minister of State for Portsmouth.
- He then served as the Minister for Energy. He was criticized for hiring a private jet to fly back from a climate conference and accepting money from the key backer of climate change denial organization Global Warming Policy Foundation.
- He became Minister for the Cabinet Office and Paymaster General in May 2015.
- He then became the Minister of State for Digital and Culture in July 2016 after Theresa May became Prime Minister.
- He was appointed Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport in January 2018.
- He criticized the BBC for the amounts of pay its foreign journalists received and said that some men at the corporation were paid “far more than equivalent public servants”.
- He was the first MP to launch his own mobile app in 2018 which was meant as a social network for him to communicate with his constituents and give people updates in relation to his cabinet role.
- He was appointed Secretary of State for Health and Social Care for England and Wales in July 2018.
- After Theresa May announced her intention to resign as Prime Minister in 2019, Hancock announced his intention to stand for the Conservative Party leadership.
- He withdrew from the race in June and later endorsed Boris Johnson.
- He continued his role as Healthy Secretary in Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s cabinet.
- Supreme Court ruled the prorogation of parliament, which Hancock supported.
- He was implicated in the Greensill scandal as the payment scheme was later rolled out within the NHS.
- He publicly apologized to Bethany, a teenager diagnosed with autism in November 2019, for being kept in solitary confinement in various psychiatric facilities.
- She received criticism for perceived sexism after suggesting on 5 May 2020 that Labour MP and shadow health minister Rosena Allin-Khan change the “tone” of her comments.
- Hancock merged Public Health England and NHS Test and Trace into a new body, the UK Health Security Agency in 2020.
- On 21 October 2020, Hancock voted against a Labour Party Opposition Day Motion to extend free school meals over holidays for children in England, with the final verdict being 322 against and 261 in favor.
- He incorrectly claimed that the MHRA’s fast approval of the first COVID-19 vaccine was possible because of Brexit.
- The High Court judge ruled in February 2021 that Hancock had acted unlawfully by handing out PPE contracts without publishing details in a timely way.
- Hancock faced controversy after he breached COVID-19 social distancing restrictions. He was having an extramarital affair with an adviser, Gina Coladangelo. A CCTV footage of them kissing and embracing in his Whitehall office was published in May 2021. He resigned from his post as secretary on 26 June 2021.
Who is Matt Hancock Wife? Extramarital affair with Gina Coladangelo
Matt Hancock is currently dating Gina Coladangelo. She is his former aide who served as a non-executive director at the Department of Health and Social Care. Their affair was exposed when The Sun published closed-circuit television footage of Hancock kissing and embracing Coladangelo in June 2021. The two resigned from their respective positions for breaching social distancing restrictions rules during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Hancock was married to Martha Hoyer Millar and Coladangelo was married to Oliver Tress when their affair was exposed. Following this, they separated from their respective partners. It was reported that the two moved in together.
Hancock shares three children, a daughter and two sons with his ex-wife, Martha. One of their children is adopted.
How Tall is Matt Hancock?
British politician Matt Hancock stands at a height of around 1.79 m i.e. 5 feet and 10 inches tall. He has an average body weight and average body type. His sexual orientation is straight. His eye color is hazel and his hair color is light brown.
What is Matt Hancock Salary and Net Worth?
Matt Hancock is a British politician who served as the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care from 2018 to 2021. The British government pays around £67,505. At present, his net worth is estimated at around $3 million.
In our previous article Who is Candy Pangilinan Husband? Everything you need to know about Gilbert Alvarado Height Weight Age Information About we encourage you to read our article.