|J.J. Abrams Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 27, 1966|
J.J. Abrams is a multi-talented and an Emmy award-winning American filmmaker who has contributed as a writer, director, producer, and composer in many films and TV series including Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Person of Interest, Revolution, Fringe, Star Trek, Cloverfield, and Regarding Henry. He is known for the powerful use of spotlights and lens flares. J.J. Abrams is an alma mater of Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers, New York.
Jeffrey Jacob Abrams
New York City, New York, United States
Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, California, United States
J.J. Abrams studied at the Palisades Charter High School in Los Angeles, California. After some hesitancy between an art school and traditional college, J.J. Abrams joined Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers, New York on his father’s advice.
Film Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Actor, Composer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Gerald W. Abrams (Television Producer)
- Mother – Carol Ann Kelvin (Executive Producer) (1942–2012)
- Siblings – Tracy Rosen (Sister) (Screenwriter)
- Others – Samuel David Abrams (Paternal Grandfather), Lilian Kodish (Paternal Grandmother), Harry Kelvin (Maternal Grandfather), Leonore Schor (Maternal Grandmother)
J.J. Abrams self-manages his work through Bad Robot Productions, Inc., Production Company, Santa Monica, California, United States.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
J.J. Abrams has dated –
- Katie McGrath – In 1996, J.J. Abrams married public relations executive Katie McGrath. They are blessed with 3 beautiful children, son Henry Abrams (b. 1998), daughter Gracie Abrams (b. 1999), and son August Abrams (b. January 11, 2006).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Thick curly hair
- Wears thick rimmed glasses
J.J. Abrams hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Winning Emmy Awards in 2005 for “Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series” and “Outstanding Drama Series” for the TV series Lost (2004–2010) which he co-created
- His contribution either as a writer, director, producer, and composer in films and TV series includes Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018), Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017), Star Trek: Beyond (2016), Westworld, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013), Person of Interest (2011-2016), Revolution (2012-2014), Almost Human (2013-2014), Fringe (2008-2013), Undercovers (2010-2012), Star Trek (2009), Cloverfield (2008), Alias (2001-2006), Lost (2004-2010), Mission: Impossible III (2006), Felicity (1998-2002), Armageddon (1998), Forever Young (1992), Regarding Henry (1991), and many others
In 1990, he made his theatrical film debut in the comedy film Taking Care of Business as an Airplane Passenger. However, his role was uncredited.
In 1991, he made his credited theatrical film debut in the romantic drama film Regarding Henry as the Delivery Boy.
First TV Show
In 1997, he made his first TV show appearance as a guest on the musical series MuchOnDemand.
In 2001, he made his TV show debut as a voice-over artist by lending his voice for the character of the Man on the phone who had to say “Joey’s Pizza” in the TV series Alias. However, he was uncredited for his role.
In 2007, he made his credited debut as a voice-over artist in the talk show The Colbert Report.
J.J. Abrams leads a busy lifestyle. His best form of workout is running on weekends. When he was younger, he used to work out more consistently at the gym.
J.J. Abrams Favorite Things
- The Episode Of The Twilight Zone Series – The Twilight Zone: Walking Distance (1959)
- Food – Sandwich called the Chaz from Shopsin’s General Store in New York
Source – IMDb, NY Times
J.J. Abrams Facts
- He grew up in Los Angeles.
- He usually uses Michael Giacchino’s music in his work.
- J.J. is known for the powerful use of spotlights and lens flares in his films.
- His story or plot often has number 47 in one way or the other.
- He gifted Jennifer Garner, the star of Alias (2001) a pink bicycle on her birthday.
- While in college, he used Alvin Sargent’s screenplay of Ordinary People (1980) as a guide in writing.
- In 2005, Fade In magazine added him in their list of “100 People in Hollywood You Need to Know”.
- His script of Forever Young (1992) was sold for $2 million.
- He loves recording music.
- In 2007, Entertainment Weekly magazine ranked J.J. Abrams at the 29th spot of “The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood” list.
- He is a huge fan of Howard Stern.
- He has guest directed an episode of the Jimmy Kimmel Live! TV series in 2006.
- Actor Greg Grunberg is his childhood friend.
- He is a fan of the TV series The Twilight Zone (1959-1964) and Downton Abbey (2010-2015).
- He is the first director to have directed a Star Trek and a Star Wars film.
- J.J. Abrams likes using the name Kelvin in his movies, which was his grandfather’s name, like Kelvin Inman in Lost, the USS Kelvin in Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013), to name a few.
- He is associated with a nonpartisan anti-corruption organization called Creative Council of Represent.Us.
- He considers Rod Serling and Steven Spielberg as his heroes.
- His strength and weakness as a writer are that he is a fast writer.
- The best movie-star gift that he has received is a two-wheel Segway scooter that was given to him by Tom Cruise.
- Movies that he has seen the most are Jaws (1975) and The Philadelphia Story (1940).
- He does not use escalators at airports.
- One gadget that he can’t live without is his Mac laptop.
- His prized possession is a mystery box from Tannen’s Magic in New York.
- One historical figure that he’d like to meet is Aristotle.
- He is the founder of Katie McGrath & JJ Abrams Family Foundation along with his wife. Through the foundation, they have contributed to the services in various areas like education and youth, arts, health, human services, equity and policy, global development, and communities in Los Angeles.
- In 2001, he was chosen as the CEO of the Bad Robot Production Company.
- Follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Dick Thomas Johnson / Flickr / CC BY-2.0
In our previous article Yixing Zhang (Lay) Height, Weight, Age, Information About we encourage you to read our article.