José Antonio Domínguez Bandera
The Latin Lover
Malaga, Andalusia, Spain
Antonio Banderas was enrolled at the School of Dramatic Art in his hometown.
In August 2015, he also got admission at the Central Saint Martins to pursue fashion designing course.
Actor, director, producer, singer
- Father – José Domínguez (Police Officer in Civil Guard) (Passed away in 2008)
- Mother – Ana Bandera Gallego (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Francisco Javier Banderas (Brother), Chloe Banderas (Sister)
- Others – Bartolomí Domínguez (Paternal Grandfather), Isabel Domínguez (Paternal Grandmother), Rafael Banderas (Maternal Grandfather), Francisca Gallego Banderas (Maternal Grandmother)
Antonio Banderas is represented by Media Art Management S.L.
He is also signed up with Paris-based Les Agents Associés.
Warner Bros. Records
5 ft 8½ in or 174 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Antonio Banderas has dated
- Ana Leza (1987-1996) – Antonio reportedly met his first wife Ana Leza in Madrid through a mutual friend in a bar. There are some sources that claim they first met at a coffee shop under the National Theatre. They got married in July 1987 at the Church of San Nicholas in Madrid. Antonio’s affair with Melanie brought an end to their relationship and after separating in 1996, they officially got divorced in 1997.
- Melanie Griffith (1995-2015) – Antonio started dating his second wife Melanie Griffith in 1995. He had been her fan from long before. In fact, he had told Spanish magazine in 1989 that he would love to meet Melanie. It is rumored that when she first arrived on the sets of the movie, Two Much, he rushed out of his trailer like a teenager to meet her. In his nervousness, the first thing he asked her was her age. Initially, she cursed, then laughed and eventually told him that she was thirty-seven years old. However, the age difference of more than a decade didn’t matter to them and they started their fiery affair on the sets of the movie. Also, at that time, Antonio was still married to his first wife, Ana Leza, whom he hastily divorced so that he could get married to Melanie. Melanie also hadn’t got officially divorced from Don Johnson. When they got married in May 1996, Melanie was already pregnant. In September 1996, she gave birth to their daughter, Stella Del Carmen Banderas. They were one of the most solid couples in Hollywood for around two decades until June 2014, when they made a shocking announcement that they were divorcing. Towards the end of their marriage, it was alleged that Antonio had repeatedly cheated on her. In the divorce settlement, Antonio gave her their house in Aspen and half of the money earned from the sale of their Los Angeles house. He also agreed to pay her $65,000-a-month in spousal support.
- Angelina Jolie (2000) – It was RUMORed that Antonio was having an affair with Angelina Jolie in 2000 after having grown close while shooting for romantic comedy, Original Study.
- Sharon Stone (2014) – Antonio was RUMORed to be going out with actress Sharon Stone shortly after the end of his marriage to Melanie. They had plans to go on holidays to mark the start of their relationship.
- Nicole Kimpel (2014-Present) – Antonio started going out with Dutch investment banker Nicole Kimpel just after the official end of his marriage with Griffith. Antonio was first actually spotted with Nicole at the Cannes Film Festival just a month before Melanie ended their marriage. However, sources in the Spanish media claimed that Nicole was in no way responsible for Antonio and Melanie’s split. Antonio is 19 years her senior.
Note – He also has another daughter, Ariely Garcia Banderas, with Sonnia Gomez.
Race / Ethnicity
Deep smooth voice
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 36 in or 91.5 cm
Antonio has lent his voice for computer-animated bee used in the TV commercial for Nasonex.
In 2007, he was also cast in Christmas promotion campaign for British retail chain, Marks and Spencer.
The other brands he has done endorsement work for include
- Mulino Bianco Barilla
- Subaru Forester
- Wrigley’s Extra
Antonio had a Catholic upbringing.
However, he has maintained in his interviews that he is agnostic. But it is worth noting that he has served as an officer (mayordomo de trono) of a Roman Catholic religious sect in his hometown.
Best Known For
- Having starred in commercially successful movies such as Desperado (1995), Interview with the Vampire (1994) and The Mask of Zorro (1998).
- Being one of the best looking Spanish actors over the last two decades.
As a Singer
Antonio turned singer for his 1996 movie, Evita. His contribution included performing about 10 songs in the movie.
In 1982, he made his first film appearance in the Spanish drama flick, Pestañas postizas.
First TV Show
In 1984, Antonio made his TV show debut in the drama miniseries, Fragmentos de interior in 4 episodes.
Antonio Banderas relies on outdoor workouts to halt the advance of age. He loves to go out for a jog and is often joined by his girlfriend. Also, he doesn’t mind running on a treadmill if the weather isn’t good outdoors.
He also enjoys swimming which is again a good cardio workout.
Antonio Banderas Favorite Things
- Food – Paella (A classic Spanish seafood and rice dish)
- Spanish Restaurant – La Pepica in Valencia
- Movies – 8 1/2 (1963), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), The Godfather (1972), The Exterminating Angel (1962) and Touch of Evil (1958)
- Director – Francis Ford Coppola
- Soccer Club – Malaga FC
Source – Food Network, Rotten Tomatoes, Wikipedia
Antonio Banderas Facts
- He loves cooking when he is around at his house. It is one of his passions. He loves cooking paella on Sundays for his family.
- In 1995, the Empire magazine placed him on the 24th position in the list featuring “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History”.
- While growing up, he dreamed of becoming a professional soccer player. However, he broke his foot when he was 14 years old and had to give up his dream.
- Before he was discovered by Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar, he used to perform in local theaters in Madrid and had even formed his own touring theater group.
- During his early struggling days as a theater actor, he used to work in small shops to keep himself financially afloat.
- After he arrived in United States to start a career in Hollywood, he had to learn English from the scratch and had to focus on phonetics to get rid of his strong Spanish accent.
- In October 2005, he was honored with his Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at the famous Hollywood Boulevard in California.
- Antonio got his acting breakthrough after he starred in Pedro Almodóvar’s 1987 movie, Law of Desire. His performance as a gay character was highly praised in Spanish cinema.
- After his gay kiss in the movie Law of Desire caused a lot of uproar in Spain that was still recovering from Franco’s regime, he didn’t visit his staunch Catholic parents for a year.
- He has 50 percent ownership of Anta Banderas, which is a winery located in Villalba de Duero in Spain. The winery is popular for its red and rose wines.
- He has partnered with the cosmetics and fragrance multinational company, Puig, to launch his own signature fragrances, Antonio for Men and Blue Seduction for Men in 2007. In 2008, he launched Blue Seduction for Women.
- The part of the proceeds from the sales of his fragrance, Blue Seduction of Women were donated to Broadway Cares and Equity Fight AIDS foundations.
- In 2000, he received an honorary degree from Dickinson College. He was also awarded honorary doctorate by University of Málaga in May 2010.
- Early in his acting career, his parents, especially his mother, weren’t thrilled about his desire to become an actor.
- Banderas has been involved in social activism work with UNICEF and was one of the featured artists to have recorded for UNICEF’s Children First. The music CD aimed to describe human life cycle through music and text.
- In 2002, Banderas and his then-wife Melanie Griffith were honored with Stella Adler Angel Award in recognition of their philanthropic endeavors.
- Visit his official website @ antoniobanderas.me.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, and Pinterest.
In our previous article Jon Tenney Net Worth Information About we encourage you to read our article.